Yet another chance for your museum to participate in a study, for free!
Here is the scoop:
Purpose of Study: We are working with a client to dig deeper into some fundamental questions about how museum audiences prefer to experience history, explore their own and different cultures, discuss race and ethnicity, and be presented with difficult subjects (such as slavery, war, etc.). We want to know how open different audience segments are to learning about the histories and cultures of people whose experiences may be very different than their own, and what role museums play in informing, sharing, and inspiring visitors with those stories.
Research Scope: We are launching a small study of core visitors to museums in order to gather responses for planning deeper research ahead. We are looking for only 3 to 5 museums to participate by fielding an online survey on our behalf. While the survey is most appropriate for history museums, historic sites, and art museums, we will consider museums of other types, including natural history museums, science centers, and children’s museums.
What Your Museum Will Receive: Your museum will receive your results, which will be compared to our database of hundreds of other museums’ results for benchmarking purposes in the following areas: visitor services and satisfaction; primary motivations for visiting; and basic demographic data. Additionally, you will receive your results on the central line of questioning outlined in the Purpose of Study, above. Participating museums will be invited to take part in a conference call with Reach Advisors to go over the preliminary findings. Your individual museum’s results will remain confidential.
What We Will Expect from You: If selected, you will be provided with a survey link and sample text, and asked to send it to your e-mail list this fall as a standalone e-mail (not as part of a larger e-newsletter). We’ll gather the responses on your behalf.
Cost to Your Museum: Nothing.
Timeline: We expect surveys will launch between September 15 and October 15. Results will be shared in November.
Participation Criteria: We will be selecting 3 to 5 museums to participate. We’ll be selecting museums based on geographic distribution, type, and size. We’ll also “wait list” a few museums just in case a selected museum is unable to participate. For the stability of individual museum results, we are asking that applicant museums have at least 2,500 contacts on their e-mail lists.
Terms and Conditions: If accepted, the following terms and conditions apply:
- If you are selected for this project, you agree to send the survey to your e-mail list (and other lists, such as Twitter feeds and Facebook fans, if applicable) this fall, and that the e-mail will be a stand-alone e-mail, not part of a larger e-newsletter, in order to increase the likelihood that you will build a meaningful sample size.
- Reach Advisors may contact some of your respondents for follow-up questions or to award survey incentive prizes. Reach Advisors will ONLY contact respondents that volunteer contact information and grant permission for such contact. Reach Advisors will NOT utilize any gathered contact information in any other way. Any e-mail addresses collected for this purpose will not be shared with the client who commissioned this work.
- Additionally, you understand that Reach Advisors will be sharing the overall results you, the client, and other participating museums, but that your individual results will be kept confidential.
- Finally, you must agree to the survey as presented by Reach Advisors. If, upon seeing the survey, you choose not to participate in the project, you will notify Reach Advisors immediately of your withdrawal from the project.
- In return for your participation, Reach Advisors will share the preliminary findings with you via conference call. Additionally, Reach Advisors will provide you with your quantitative results via spreadsheet, so that you may compare your results with the Reach Advisors’ database of benchmark data. Reach Advisors will make their best effort to answer further questions in a timely manner, but as a pro bono participant, it is understood that their resources are limited as well. As a pro bono participant, you understand that the work delivered to you will not approach the same level of Reach Advisors’ more detailed client work.
Interested? Contact Susie Wilkening at Susie (at) reachadvisors.com by Friday, September 3, providing your museum’s name, location, approximate e-mail list size, and your contact info. We’ll notify you of your status by Friday, September 10.